Hey Sherrill! Assuming you're back in the 21st century today, I wanted to ask you if you've ever had this problem: funky towels?! Yuck! Last year, after trying different types of detergent & oxyclean & bleach & all kinds of other solutions & not being able to get the funk out of our bath towels, the man finally told me to throw them all out and buy new ones. I did (thank goodness he paid for them!), and they were great for awhile.
Fast forward to today & guess what? The funk is back. Listen, I like new towels as much as the next person, but it seems incredibly wasteful to go out spend money on towels every year, don't you think? I did some searching around the other day & I decided to try out a possible solution... and of course, as often turns out to be the case, the fix has nothing to do with fancy products with colorful packaging & an ad campaign. the solution is good old white vinegar and baking soda! Is there anything vinegar and baking soda can't do? Well, I guess it can't fold the towels & put them away, but I'll bet if you added a little borax...
Anyway... defunk steps are below the photo...
- Turn washing machine to the longest wash cycle and choose hot water. Turn it on. Do not add detergent.
- When the machine is about half full, pour in two cups of white vinegar.
- Once it's filled, add your funky towels to the water.
- Allow the machine to run through its wash & rinse cycle. Do not remove towels.
- Dump 1 cup of baking soda into with the wet towels. Do not add detergent.
- Run the machine through another hot cycle.
- Once the second wash is all finished, put the towels in the dryer on hot & run them until they are 100% dry.
- Take your towels out & bury your face in them & breathe deep!!!
- Ahhhhhhhh! Enjoy the smell of absolutely nothing!
- Fold towels. Stack in closet. Bask in the glow of your adoring family as they comment on the lack of funk in the towels.
- Shake the fantastical reverie out of your head, dump your clean towels on the couch with the other unfolded laundry & go about you day, which will now be funk-free...
- Repeat this process once every couple of months or so... or when your towels start gettin' down & gettin' funky again!
unless you want THIS kind of funk (and, really, who doesn't??):